Sunday, May 20, 2007

Watermelons, pencils and Goodbye

Although yesterday BUDD said goodbye to Sulukule, I went back as I had aranged a football game with the kids! But i also bought some things to give to the kids as a last and final goodbye from BUDD!

So I met Gokce in Sulukule for one last time. While she helped a little girl with her homework Murat (Natalia's friend) and a friend took me for a walk. On the walk found some place which sold watermelons... so I told Murat he had to remind me where it was cuase I wanted one (Natalia and I have been obsessing bout watermelons).

So after my walk we played some football untill the men came to play their scheduled game, which turned out to be the best time to go buy the watermelon. So off I went with Murat, his friend, Bilal, Ali and a few others whos names i cant remember.

I got a whole watermelon, half for me and the kids and the rest to take home. So the kids took me to a park to eat it, and while we were eating an old lady sat with us and started talking to the kids (Looking at the untouched half a watermelon on the table). Eventually she asked if she could have some, and the kids said I should give a piece... she had piece and then called over another kids and handed her the half a watermelon... right... so me and the kids look at each other in amusement (Bilal in particular found it hillarious and said I should get it back) but then the lady explained she had many kids and had to feed them, so I let her have it...


So off we go back to the cafe ( and on the way buy another watermelon for BUDD) and there it was time to say goodbye... and this time it was for real... so I gave the pressies to the kids which they loved (amazing how much a pencil could mean to a kid) and then the sad part came. When Gokce told them I was not going to be there tommorrow... they did not like the news, Bilal's face went from a smile to a frown... he then came over to me and gave me a hug and said goodbye... (I was sooooo close to balling my eyes out, but I didnt want to cry in front of them) Murat then said he didn't want to talk to me cause I was leaving... (tears almost coming again)... but he then went with me to the bus stop

So I took my backpack and watermelon and slowly walked away from Sulukule... this "place" which gave me sooooooo much and taught me there is sooooo much more to life than money and all else...


So here I leave a goodbye to SULUKULE and leave a thank you for all they have done!!!



I sincerely hope I will come back to visit you all!!!











Tony